Natalia represents various healthcare providers, with the focus on pharmacists and pharmacies (including retail, compounding, long-term care and hospital pharmacies), in business, regulatory, and administrative matters. Her experience extends to a wide range of legal challenges that healthcare providers are currently facing, including:
- PBM regulatory work and dispute resolution;
- Litigation: reimbursements, business disputes;
- Compliance and defense: Board of Pharmacy, Medical and Dental Boards, and FDA regulations, PBM contracts and manuals, HIPAA and Confidentiality of Medical Information Act; Anti-kickback Federal and State Laws; False Claims Act; compliance with 340B Regulations;
- Investigations and Defense: Medical Board, Board of Pharmacy, DEA, and FDA investigations; Medicare and Medi-Cal audits; OIG’s investigation and criminal prosecution, administrative representation in OIG’s exclusion process.
- Business transactions: pharmacy and drug wholesaler business formation, purchase and sale of pharmacies and drug wholesale business, partnership and employment agreements, marketing and vendors’ contracts.
- Business Formation, including complex non-profits.
Prior to joining the firm, she was a founding partner of Carman & Mazina, a pharmacy firm. She was also an associate for Medicaid Defense Fund (MDF), a non-profit that obtained seven consecutive injunctions to stop Medi-Cal provider reimbursement cuts. Her experience in MDF included writ litigation, appeal, and medication in state and federal courts. She is an attorney of record in cases with national and state-wide impacts such as: Keffeler v Partnership Healthplan of Cal, 224 Cal.App.4th 322 (Cal Court App 2014); Douglas v Indep. Living Center of So. Cal, 132 S.Ct. 1204 (U.S. Supreme Ct 2012); Managed Pharmacy Care v. Sebelius, 716 F.3d 1235 (Ct Appeals 9th Cir 2013).
American Society for Pharmacy Law, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, American Bar Association-Health Law Section, American Health Lawyers Association, California State Bar and Toastmasters International.
- Counsel for Pharmacists Planning Services, Inc. and Marin Pharmacists Association advocating for pharmacy profession to achieve work safety and increased quality of service;
- Working with criminal defense attorneys defensing healthcare providers based on counterfeit drugs, kickbacks, false claims; advising on collateral consequences with licensing boards;
- Representing various pharmacy associations at the Board of Pharmacy hearings; State and Federal litigation;
- Representing healthcare professionals in Board of Pharmacy and Medical Board administrative proceedings;
- Representing pharmacies in disputes with PBMs (pre- and post- audit assistance, disputing charge-backs, negotiating corrective action plans, preventing contractual termination)
- Licensing, and obtaining Medicare/Medi-Cal provider status;
- Reimbursement disputes with Medi-Cal and private payors;
- Advising TeleHealth (mHealth) companies on compliance and reimbursements;
- Teaching compliance seminars (private clients and healthcare associations): HIPAA, kickbacks, TeleHealth compliance, 340B compliance.
- The Whiley W. Manual Award for pro bono services by the State Bar of California, 2012
- Volunteer Appreciation Award by The AIDs Legal Referral Panel, 2011 and 2012
- English – fluent
- Russian – fluent
- Spanish – advances
- German – intermediate
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, “Pharmacy Law. How Does It Apply To Non-Pharmacy Clients?” November 2016
- American Society for Pharmacy Law, “Overview of PBM Regulations and Litigation.” November 2016
- Charmalot 2016 Conference: “Legal Issues in TeleMedicine.”
- Managed Pharmacy Care seminar, November 2014, “Medi-Cal Reimbursement Issues.”
- PPSI yearly Steve Bacon breakfast at CPhA conference on various healthcare topics (yearly)
- Marin Pharmacists Association, Legal Updates, healthcare compliance (yearly)
- Dominical University B.A., Dean’s list, Gamma Sigma Honor Award, 2006
- Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D., 2010, Constitutional Law Best Essay Award of 2009
- California State courts
- Federal courts: Central District of California; 9th Cir. Court of Appeals