Anne F. Marchant
Anne’s practice focuses on pharmacy law, professional malpractice, personal injury and wrongful death actions, product liability, premises liability, commercial litigation and labor and employment matters.
For 25 years, Anne has represented clients in state and Federal court throughout California and provided pre-litigation advice. In her 14 years at Klein, Hockel, Iezza & Patel PC she has also advised and represented clients in matters before the California Board of Pharmacy, the Office of Administrative Hearings, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies. Although the majority of her time is spent defending individuals and companies, Anne has also successfully handled medical malpractice and employment matters on behalf of individual clients.
Anne focuses on providing her clients with outstanding customer service and legal guidance. Her clients routinely depend on her not only for legal and business advice, but also for expertise once they find themselves in litigation. Anne has successfully handled matters from pre-litigation through appeals. In addition to multiple jury and bench trials, Anne has successfully mediated and arbitrated over one hundred claims on behalf of her individual and corporate clients. She also has extensive appellate court experience.
- Duke University, B.A., Political Science and Spanish, 1987
- Dean’s List
- Semesters abroad at Cambridge University and the University of Madrid
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., 1991
- American Jurisprudence Award in Legal Research and Writing
- All California courts.
- United States District Court for the Northern, Central, Southern and Eastern Districts of California.
- Wilson, McCall & Daoro et al. v. American Qualified Plans, Inc. (1999) 70 Cal.App.4th 1030.
Affiliations and Memberships
- California State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- National Association of Insurance Women
- Extensive jury trial experience representing defendant attorneys and doctors in professional liability actions in state courts.
- Fully service retail clients with both non-litigation legal issues and litigation matters in the practice areas of products liability, personal injury, wrongful death and the unique practice area of pharmacy law.
- Successfully arbitrate and mediate disputes in professional liability, real estate, medical malpractice, insurance and personal injury cases.
- Extensive appellate court experience.
Recent Successes and Achievements
- On September 10, 2008, Jonathan Allan Klein and Anne F. Marchant obtained a dismissal of Rite Aid in an action alleging products liability, breach of warranty, and negligence with respect to the pharmacy’s dispensing of Strattera® to the Plaintiff’s 15 year-old son. Plaintiff alleged his son committed suicide after an increase in the prescription dose, and alleged Rite Aid, along with the drug’s manufacturer, should have warned of the dangerous effects of the drug, including suicide ideation. Plaintiff agreed to dismiss Rite Aid prior to Rite Aid’s filing of a motion to dismiss.
- Sibley v. Eshoo – Defense verdict obtained in a legal malpractice, fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of fiduciary duty case involving a golf partnership; pretrial demand $850,000
- Oliver v. Perdue – Defense verdict obtained in a legal malpractice/employment and age discrimination case; pretrial demand $3 million.
- Banducci v. Marrar – Defense verdict obtained in medical malpractice case against orthopedic surgeon; pretrial demand of $250,000.
- Civil litigation in both state and federal courts, including the defense of attorneys, accountants, doctors, dentists, psychiatrists, and real estate brokers in professional liability actions.
- Achieved dismissals in attorney malpractice, personal injury and medical malpractice suits prior to hearing on dispositive summary judgment motions.
- Achieved defense verdicts in numerous binding arbitrations.
- Prepared and worked up numerous cases to trial, resulting in favorable verdicts for clients.
- Leading role in drafting and updating prior firm’s publication: California Law on Legal Malpractice.
Interests and Hobbies
- Anne grew up in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Venezuela, Barbados, Jamaica, Mexico, England, France, Spain, and Thailand. She returned to the United States where she graduated from Greenwich Academy in Greenwich, Connecticut. Traveling has remained a passion, although with a husband who also practices law and three young children, travel for the foreseeable future is limited to frequent family weekend getaways to The Sea Ranch on the Sonoma County coast.
- Anne enjoys spending time with family and friend, cooking, photography, knitting, and music.